Friday, July 24, 2009

New tagline


On this, the 101st entry on Round Seventeen, I've decided to go with a new tagline. I replaced, "28,195 words, rearranged daily" with the new "Spreading cynicism since 1998."

I'm not really big on taglines.

Clients tend to think of them as a magic bullet. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked to come up with the next "Think Different." Or "Just do it." Ironically, Apple and Nike still have those taglines, but you'd be hard-pressed to find it on any of their advertising.

The truth is most clients don't have the cajones to live by one guiding principle. Or they exhibit ADHD and change the tagline before it can get any traction.

During the height of the ABC "Yellow" campaign, we wanted to roll out a different tagline every day. And we could have done it: "ABC. Coming at you." or "You gotta ABC us." Or
"ABC. Always Be Consuming."

They looked at us like we were from another planet.
But come on, its a TV network. Have a little fun.

If memory serves that meeting took place in Century City.
In August.
In 1998.


1 comment:

Claudia said...

When I was at EarthLink, I had a sign on my door that said, "Selling the invisible to the indifferent." It wasn't much appreciated.