Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Merry Christmas

Last week I was working on some Christmas promotional ads. The account guy I was working with was a little concerned that I wasn't being generic enough. I needed to be more agnostic. The ads, he said , were too Christmassy.

Frankly, I don't understand all this Yuletide political correctness.
I hope marketers aren't avoiding the Christmas in Christmas because they think it will offend Jews.

It won't. We're a bit more thick-skinned that that.

A couple of years ago, Iranian President and soon-to-be carpet salesman, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sponsored a Holocaust Cartoon contest. Other than bolstering his status as a world statesman, I'm not sure what he thought it would accomplish. The cartoons, by the way, were quite lame and patently unfunny.

Anyway, not to be outdone, a group of entrepreneurial self-effacing Israelis announced their own Anti-Semitic Cartoon Contest.

Here are three of my favorites:




It's like Redd Foxx once said, three days after firing his all Hebrew writing staff, "This stuff isn't funny, get me my Jews."

2 comments:

Ellen November said...

Are you familiar with the song from the musical Spamalot about getting Jews for a Broadway production. It's hilarious.
I cannot believe your subject of today. I was just starting to dread the xmas season. Do you have any pointers for getting thru it? I need balance. I don't want to be a hater. Would you be able to provide a fresh perspective?
Signed,
Jewess in Tinsel Town, USA

Rich Siegel said...

Really Ellen?
X-mas doesn't bother me in the least. Everybody else is scrambling around buying gifts, wearing bad sweaters and trying to remember the words to lame songs.
I don't have to do any of that.