Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Write Off

Ever since I started this blog I've been searching for a way to monetize it.

Many blog writers post ads and make a few pennies here and there based on eyeballs and click-throughs.

I can't see myself chasing down online advertisers and presenting them with a fakakta business plan. Besides 7 loyal readers does not a demographic make.

And now it seems I won't have to.

Uncle Sam is going to pay for my blog.
Here's how:

A few weeks ago I got a freelance assignment based not only on the strength of my advertising portfolio and my extensive resume. But also, and I find this as hard to believe as you do, on the quality of writing found herein. In essence, legitimizing this rag-tag collection of anecdotes, observations and silly little stories as a true tool of self promotion.

I haven't cleared this with my accountant yet, but as I understand the tax code and the associative property, if I were to eat at an expensive restaurant and then write about that experience, I could legitimately claim that meal, as well as the bottle of 2003 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon, as a business expense necessarily to sustain my now "revenue-generating" blog.

This is quite a revelation, my friends. It opens up a world of possibilities. It's a good excuse to go on a spending spree. And enjoy my second mid-life crisis.


1 comment:

Robert Moss said...

Do talk with your accountant. A friend of mine writes http://rationaldenial.blogspot.com

According to his blog, the Rational Denial Lab is a pseudo-scientific institute providing wine knowledge for a global audience of inebriates.

He writes off a portion of his *testing* expenses, but not 100% of his wine consumption.

Good luck!