Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Rethinking the Birka

Last week, my youngest daughter went to another Bat Mitzvah. She wore make-up, jewelry and a dress that I thought was way too revealing. As I was about to send her back upstairs for a do-over, my wife darted me a look as if to say, "Shutup and let it go."

Sixteen years of being happily married has taught me not to question that look.

But other questions arise.

With two beautiful daughters now entering puberty, maybe the strict code of Sharia isn't so senseless after all?
Maybe I'll make my daughters wear a birka?
Or if that's going too far maybe, maybe I can convince my wife to make them wear the hijab?

Who am I kidding, I can't even persuade my wife to make me a pot of coffee in the morning.

I am just so not prepared for young boys showing up at my doorstep to take my girls out on a date.

With any luck, they'll be lesbians.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would just be young butchy girls showing up at your doorstep to take your girls out on a date. If it's not one thing, it's another.