Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holy Smokes

I must have passed this sign at the local Mini-Mart about 1000 times, but never noticed the sky rocketing price of cigarettes. Probably because I've never partaken in such a filthy, disgusting habit.

But God bless those that do.

Let's say a carton of ciggies is 50 bucks. A carton is equal to 10 packs.
If you smoke a pack a day (which I'm told is light) that requires about 30 packs a month or 3 cartons. 3 cartons at 50 bucks a pop is 150 dollars a month. Or 1200 dollars a year.

Now consider the fact that the state adds on a disincentive tax of about 25% and we're talking a good 300 to 400 dollars a year that every smoker puts into government coffers to pay for my roads, my trash collection and my sewer maintenance.

Plus, it can be argued, smokers pay higher health insurance rates, fund cancer research and generally subsidize healthcare for those us smart enough not to light up.

So thank you for smoking.

And remember, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
And if you don't got 'em, by all means, buy more.

No comments: