Thursday, August 5, 2010

Swing and a miss

A couple of weeks ago I did a post about the inability of many American males to throw out a proper first pitch. To separate myself from this group of girlie men, I got a baseball out of my garage, set up a video camera and hurled a fastball that painted the inside corner with blazing 56 mph speed.

Today, it occurred to me, that baseball had some nostalgic value. (You see, I have daughters so there are not many hardballs floating around my garage. We have softballs, volleyballs and rollerblades that were used once in 2003, but we're pitifully shy on boy stuff. So I grabbed the only baseball I had.)

It was a ball autographed by Eric Karros, first baseman for the LA Dodgers many years ago and former coach Tommy LaSorda. I met both gentlemen when we were doing a Nissan commercial. Eric was a humble, soft-spoken guy who was generally pleasant to be around. Tommy was...not.

Well as you can see from the picture above, the autographs are gone. They've either faded away by years of sitting in the garage or puppy saliva. It's just as well. I never really understood the whole sports memorabilia thing anyway.

A long time ago, I also did a bunch of commercials with basketball coach Pat Riley.
I didn't get anything from him.



1 comment:

plaidbus said...

Liam and I will play catch with ya if you're feeling blue.