Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hacking it up


If you know me at all, you know I don't spend a lot of time gushing over other people's work. This is very easy to explain. I either don't like their work or more often than not, I simply think mine is better. I say that with no intended disrespect. Rather, it is borne from a gunslinger's mentality.

I think Maverick respected Iceman's ability as a pilot, but when push came to shove, he wanted to be the one to pull the trigger on the sidewinder that would take down the Mig 29.

I mention all this because last week it was announced that Eric Kallman was leaving Weiden & Kennedy to become the ECD at Barton F Graf 9000, a start up agency in NY. For those of you not in the business, Kallman was responsible for this year's Old Spice Campaign featuring the man you wish your man could smell like. (He also gave us the questionable print ad pictured above, look closely before you judge.)

And while I'm an admirer of his deodorant-shilling work, it was an earlier spot Kallman did that made me a fan.



In my mind, this has everything a great commercial should have: great dialogue, chocolate candy and hints of post traumatic stress syndrome.

Years ago I presented an equally absurd campaign to El Pollo Loco. I proposed a new spokesperson, a Lucha Libre. I presented the whole campaign while wearing a Mexican Wrestling mask. It was weird. It was violent. It was funny. When I removed the mask to get a better look at the client's reaction, I knew right away it a No Sale.

In fact, two weeks later, we lost the account. Ending my hope of ever producing the kind of head-scratching work Mr. Kallman has produced.

And so today I tip my hat to Eric. In light of the great and distinctive work you have done, my pedestrian work pales in comparison. In the immortal words of Pinata Man, "I'm just like everyone else."

No comments: