Thursday, April 21, 2011

I need some Paxil


I'm very depressed. I know that's no excuse and the business of funny has to go on, but I feel I must tell you of my sorrow.

Last week, for the very first time, I entered the New Yorker Caption the Cartoon Contest. And today I found out that my entry ("You booked us a connecting flight at O'Hare? Who does that?") did not crack the top three. I thought it was understated and wryly captured the woes of today's modern fliers.

In retrospect, I suppose it could have been funnier.
Indeed, it should have been funnier.
But what upsets me most is that the top prize will go to John Pignata from Brooklyn, NY.

His pithy, winning caption?

"Well, you're the one who insisted on the smoking section."

First of all, you wouldn't be able to smoke a cigarette at 600 knots an hour. And secondly John, when was the last time you heard of a smoking section on an airline?

Color me blue. Very blue.

No comments: