Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mmmmm, doughnuts


If you're a Simpson's aficionado, as I am, you know this is a picture of Jebidiah Springfield, founding father of Springfield, ??.

There was a time in my life when I knew the storyline to every Simpson's episode. It is such a monumental achievement and will go down as one of the top 5 shows ever put on television.

But for me it was more than just a laugh riot.

It was graduate school. I learned so many new tricks and techniques in storytelling. And of course, when I say "learned", I mean I stole liberally.

You can imagine how excited I was last week, when, on the Great Northwest College Tour of 2013 -- more on this adventure later -- I discovered the original statue that inspired the great Jebidiah.


We found him on the campus of the University of Oregon. Not far from Portland, where Simpson's creator Matt Groehning grew up.

Later that day, we came across more Simpson's inspirational points of interest, including streets in downtown Portland named Flanders and Quimby. Not to mention Montgomery Park and Burnside Street.

My daughters, naturally, were bored with my Simpson's fascination, so I took them to world famous Voodoo Doughnuts. That seemed to do the trick. And no wonder either.

Because as Homer is fond of saying, "doughnuts, is there anything they can't do?"

No comments: