Monday, November 6, 2017

Money, Money, Money


Last week I finished up an assignment for a major video game franchise that been around since the turn of the millennium. I know what's going through your head, "I didn't think 44 year olds even knew about video games." Let this spot, directed by Doug Liman, put all doubts to rest.

Anyway, this happened to be one of the most successful games ever introduced and in preparation of launching the newest version, they told us to go balls to the wall. If not for a signed NDA, I'd share some of the balls to the wall events we came up with.

But that's not what this post is about.

You see, as my friend, and fellow blogger, and fellow old man George Tannenbaum, wrote recently, coming up with ideas and writing is done in spurts. You write a little, you goof off a lot. That's just the way it is.

Because I have two kids in college and a wife that is fond of house remodeling, I often spend my goofing off time looking for other gigs. I've even toyed with the notion of going back in and taking a staff job. After all, those soapstone counter tops aren't going to pay for themselves.

But then I turned to the pages of Indeed, Dice, Monster and Linkedin, and have never been so horrified in my life. Good Night Eileen, this is what I saw:


Sr. Copywriter -- $70K-90K


Creative Director -- $125K


ECD -- $175K


When I was growing up I was always taught it's not polite to talk about money with friends, family and co-workers. But we've now elected a man who lusts after his daughter, talks openly about grabbing pussies and defecates every time he sees a live microphone, so politeness is as meaningless as a sworn statement from Jeff Sessions.

What's disturbing about these numbers is not that they are the same numbers I was familiar with when I was climbing the ladder in the ad agency world.

They're less. Significantly less.

When I was legitimate Sr. Copywriter, back in 1853, I was making more than $100K. And even then, it was barely enough to buy a new covered wagon or a new butter churner.

My head hits the desk when I think of today's Sr. Copywriter bringing home $70K a year. Particularly when you consider how that "year" includes lost weekends, lost birthdays, lost anniversaries, and nights lost to making sure every fucking idea spins three hundred sixty fucking degrees.

Even more dispiriting is the fact that today's CEO's are often bringing home 100, sometimes 200, times that amount. Not to mention complimentary in-office dry cleaning.

While perusing these internet job listings, I always run across articles and listicles to the effect of "10 Ways Ad Agencies Can Recruit and Retain Talent."

I'm here to tell you, it has nothing to do with foosball machines and free mouthwash in the restroom.



No comments: